Buying a property abroad
If you or a member of your family is thinking of investing in a holiday home or timeshare property overseas it’s worth making an initial free, no obligation consultation with a specialist solicitor recommended by Lawmatch. It is not a legal requirement to instruct UK solicitors when buying property abroad but securing specialist advice in the UK will help you avoid any pitfalls and provide peace of mind that your dream venture doesn’t become the holiday home from hell. When purchasing properties off-plan in many countries, including Spain, the developers may try to persuade you to use their solicitors as they can act legally for both parties. These solicitors are essentially the developers’ representatives and so the agreements will be drafted in the developers’ favour. Your interests are unlikely to be protected. Lawmatch recommended solicitors will:
- Be able to speak the language of the country you are buying in
- Have extensive knowledge of the local conveyancing systems
- Ensure your transaction runs smoothly and with minimal fuss.
- Thoroughly examine all contracts and / or other legal documents, explaining their implications and advising on the best way to proceed
- Advise on inheritance law, tax implications, and transfer of estates
- Provide tax planning including capital gains tax