Injury or Illness Abroad

Whether you’re abroad while working or on holiday, accidents and unexpected illnesses can, and do, happen. The good news is that there are laws in place to protect you and ensure that if the fault lies with someone else, you have a right to claim compensation for: the injuries and illness suffered; loss of enjoyment for you and your family; loss of income due to time off work; and costs to help with medication and rehabilitation. If your holiday was booked through a travel agent as part of a package holiday then it is likely that you will be able to bring a claim in the UK against the travel company through ABTA. Whatever the circumstances, it’s worth taking free initial legal advice from a solicitor through Lawmatch.

Accidents abroad include:

  • Tripping over a defective path or slipping on a wet floor in the hotel
  • Road traffic accident whilst driving a rental car, motorcycle, moped, minibus or as a pedestrian
  • Accident as a passenger whilst travelling in a car, bus, coach or taxi
  • Injury whilst on a train or airplane
  • Food poisoning or virus contraction from a hotel, restaurant or cruise liner
  • Sports accident due to poorly maintained or faulty equipment
  • Injured whilst on an arranged day excursion
  • Cruise ship accident whilst on board, embarking or disembarking
  • Skiing or tobogganing
  • Cycling or horse riding accidents
  • Water sport accidents as drivers or passengers on boats, canoes, yachts, jet skis and speed boats
  • Assaults and hijacking injuries
  • Terrorism related injuries
Find a solicitor to discuss this matter